With this module's resources, we explored strategies and tools that promote learner engagement. I have provided a few of the available technologies that may be used in an online learning environment. To promote content knowledge building, communication, and collaborative tasks, two strategies are present in all categories: 1. Discussions and 2. Simulations/Role Playing. Discussi
ons may be teacher-mediated or student-mediated (Durrington, et. al., 2006). Additionally, they may be asynchronous which allows for reflection time or synchronous which simulates an actual conversation between scholars. In order to ensure participation of all students, guidelines must be provided in both cases. Simulations/role playing are especially useful in building trust as we discovered in an earlier module. Communication is at the heart of educational experiences. Communication technologies are especially prevalent today with tools such as email, wikis, Skype, Twitter (which is not included on the graphic organizer), and social bookmarking. Wikis are especially useful for asynchronous collaboration. They allow students to be active participants in the development and distribution of information. Students are able to not only read the material posted on the wiki; they are also able to edit incorrect information or give further details about on the topic. Wikis are extremely powerful for both communication and collaboration.
More pondering to come...
References
Durrington, V. A., Berryhill, A. & Swafford, J. (2006). Strategies for enhancing student interactivity in an online environment. College Teaching, 54 (1), 190-193. Retrieved July 16, 2009 from Academic Search Premier database.
Angela,
ReplyDeleteI really like the mind map and your incorporation of it into your text. I commented on Kassidy's blog that it seemed to me like I almost went in circles because the technology tools are all inter-related to the content and strategies. I see that you visualized this with your mind map. It is great!
Cynthia
Angela-
ReplyDeleteI felt your reflection was much stronger than your mind map. I thought it was very overgeneralized for all the information that we took in these last two weeks. But, the positive aspect is that through your writing I can tell you understood what we were learning. Overall I believe your strong reflection makes up for a lacking mind map.
Kassidy